The Day by day Crunch is TechCrunch’s roundup of our greatest and most necessary tales. In the event you’d wish to get this delivered to your inbox day-after-day at round 9am Pacific, you’ll be able to subscribe right here.
1. Writer adtech startups Taboola and Outbrain merge in $850M deal to tackle Google and Fb
The content material suggestion rivals — who’re, let’s consider, not precisely identified for the top quality of their suggestions — are merging to type a single firm.
Whereas the businesses describe the deal as a merger, the mixed entity might be known as Taboola, with Taboola’s founder Adam Singolda securing the CEO slot. Additional, Taboola is paying Outbrain buyers $250 million in money plus a 30% share of the mixed firms.
2. Right here’s every thing Microsoft introduced at at this time’s Floor occasion
Many of the rumors panned out: There was a brand new model of the Floor Laptop computer, together with the addition of a USB C port and a 15-inch mannequin. The Floor Professional received a USB C port as effectively, together with improved studio microphones. And there’s the brand new Floor Professional X, which finds the corporate using Microsoft’s new SQ1 chip.
3. Introducing the Startup Battlefield firms at TechCrunch Disrupt SF 2019
This 12 months’s batch covers speedy cholera detection, developer instruments, strawberry-picking robots, regulatory monitoring and extra.
4. Uber launches a shift-work finder app, Uber Works, beginning in Chicago
This can be a new app for matching = employees with shifts, known as Uber Works. The app does this matching in partnership with staffing businesses, and it presents employees the carrot of extra well timed funds.
5. Will Smith simply dropped $10Okay on a startup that pitched him onstage at Disrupt
It’s true: I interviewed Will Smith and Ang Lee about their new film “Gemini Man,” and it changed into a mini-startup pitch competitors.
6. In a brand new submitting, the enterprise agency Mithril Capital says it has been below assault by its former normal counsel
The agency has been characterised in information experiences by Recode as being in an entire state of disarray — and, extra lately, for reportedly being investigated by the FBI for monetary misconduct. Mithril is now drawing a line from these tales to former worker Crystal McKellar.
7. How Bongo, the ‘Netflix of Bangladesh,’ gained the native video streaming market with simply $10M
The on-demand video service started life as a channel on YouTube in 2014 earlier than increasing as a standalone app to customers a 12 months later. Now, of the 96 million folks in Bangladesh who’re on-line at this time, 75 million of them are subscribed to both Bongo’s YouTube channel or to its app. (Further Crunch membership required.)